AsdaDream
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please help your Nub Admin on getting a new computer. :(

+3
He Zhuo
bluexx
Admin
7 posters

Go down

Please help your Nub Admin on getting a new computer. :( Empty Please help your Nub Admin on getting a new computer. :(

Post by Admin Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:31 pm

Kay, I seriously need help. I know nuts about computer specs. Been running around stores and getting info but it seems like im getting nowhere to be exact lol. Either they tell me to do some research getting part list prices etc etc or some other BS. I've been to forums to check prices and such but im still freaking confused - like whats the difference of a 80GB 7200 RPM HDD with a normal 80GB HDD? -_-...

Just what parts do I need to play on AsdaStory w/o lags? Or what parts are competible with which parts?

Motherboard -
Processor -
Graphic card/ Video card -
RAM -
HDD -

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/priceguide/

a list of parts in my country - Singapore !

Or you guys can post on specs Razz Well, I need a com for gaming purposes so.. budget within $800-$1.5k

Many thanks!
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://asdadream.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Please help your Nub Admin on getting a new computer. :( Empty Re: Please help your Nub Admin on getting a new computer. :(

Post by bluexx Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:03 pm

well... for that money you can easily buy what I got and have some spare change...

get a quad 2.4ghz proccessor (I got intel's but whatever)
get 4gb of ram
Geforce 8800 GTX or if it's too expensive get 8600GT (I don't really know what's the difference between them... 8800 is newer and a lot more expensive but honestly... I don't think it change much... probably will last about half a year longer as "crappiest card on earth" in 5-6 years before it needs to be replaced but that's about it)
I'd say go with as many space on your hd as possible like 320gb or something should do, nothing less if you are half the addicted gamer as I am and download a new mmorpg almost daily
as for motherboard well.. whatever can support up to 8gb of ram (to avoid quick upgrading of it in the future) and the other stuff mentioned should certainly be a good choice, make sure it got at least 4 ram slots though (old motherboards won't support 1gb+ ram sticks or good graphic cards, so you need to make sure you buy a new one that supports all the new hardware and then some)

all the above should range 800$ - 1200$~ depending on where you buy it and if you get the 8600 or the 8800
if you can get 2X2gb ram sticks it's quite good because then you can save them for a very long time (and just add 2 more of those in the future when you will need more than 4GB of ram, now 4GB is an overkill for anything so you can take your time) otherwise get 4X1gb sticks, it's not like you will need to get them upgraded in the next few years (and well even if you do you can upgrade them slowly one by one as 2gb sticks cost way more than 2X1gb sticks at least for now)

note that you will need to use xp 64bit edition or vista to support more than 3gb of ram. (otherwise it just ignores one of the sticks)

"whats the difference of a 80GB 7200 RPM HDD with a normal 80GB HDD?" - I have no idea... XD
bluexx
bluexx

Back to top Go down

Please help your Nub Admin on getting a new computer. :( Empty Re: Please help your Nub Admin on getting a new computer. :(

Post by Admin Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:48 pm

thank you i'll go ask the store tmr Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by He Zhuo Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:28 am

Admin wrote:Kay, I seriously need help. I know nuts about computer specs. Been running around stores and getting info but it seems like im getting nowhere to be exact lol. Either they tell me to do some research getting part list prices etc etc or some other BS. I've been to forums to check prices and such but im still freaking confused - like whats the difference of a 80GB 7200 RPM HDD with a normal 80GB HDD? -_-...

The difference is in speed

RPM = Rotation per Minute

so, the normal one usually is change every year (there is 3200 RPM and 5600 RPM before)
7200 RPM has been a standard this days
the faster HDD is now at 10k RPM and 15k RPM
That way you can write and read faster from the HDD
Although the price difference is kind of not worth it, I wouldn't bother choosing faster HDD

For picking computer, there are only 2 rules:
1. The more expensive* the component, the better the quality or quantity of the parts
2. Larger series number of the type is always better** (eg. GFX 8800 > GFX 8600)

Note:
* Although some are not worth it, please choose wisely
** Hmm... this is just my opinion, can someone show me that this rule is wrong?
He Zhuo
He Zhuo

Back to top Go down

Post by nibblemynutz Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:43 am

Admin wrote:thank you i'll go ask the store tmr Very Happy

xDD

He said the exact same I told you,

BTW

MOST Important is CPU,Video Card And ISP(internetservice provider), minimum for any game is 512mb.

RPM = Revolutions per minute, Or Speed in which files will appear when you browse around in it.
nibblemynutz
nibblemynutz

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:27 am

Im gonna skip the RPM part. >_> Not that important to me lol.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Exia Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:44 am

Get the GeForce Tesla. It's like, a computer tower of
GeForce 8800 GT's or something lmao.

For graphics, try to get your hands on an 8800 GT...
they're more powerful than the GTS, and if my logic
is correct, it should cost just over $250 in Singapore.

4gb SDRAM is essential O_O...if you have the extra
cash, go with 8gb SDRAM. Bwahahahaa...

And get Photoshop CS3... FOR FREE!! o_O
Exia
Exia

Back to top Go down

Post by Abnormality Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:52 am

I only have a gig of ram and I managed to run RF Online fine. And those that have played that game should know.. that game is ridiculously large and the graphics are pretty good. BTW, my video card is like.. the size of my pinky. Soooo, I'd say to just get any good ole computer at a store, and just add in hardware as you see fit.

Then again, if you want to go all techy, listen to the people above me. They know alot more than I do.

PS I think I ran Guild Wars fine with a $75 video card. Can't remember its name. Geforce...6 something FX
Abnormality
Abnormality

Back to top Go down

Post by He Zhuo Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:13 am

Exia wrote:Get the GeForce Tesla. It's like, a computer tower of
GeForce 8800 GT's or something lmao.

For graphics, try to get your hands on an 8800 GT...
they're more powerful than the GTS, and if my logic
is correct, it should cost just over $250 in Singapore.

4gb SDRAM is essential O_O...if you have the extra
cash, go with 8gb SDRAM. Bwahahahaa...

And get Photoshop CS3... FOR FREE!! o_O

Umm...
why SDRAM?

aren't DDRAM better?
DDR2 and DDR3?
He Zhuo
He Zhuo

Back to top Go down

Post by Exia Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:15 am

cuz I'm insane ._.
Exia
Exia

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:42 am

Whats the difference between SDRAM and DDR2 and DDR3?

I know DDR is for old coms like.. mine lol. Different pins i think?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nibblemynutz Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:32 am

Admin wrote:Whats the difference between SDRAM and DDR2 and DDR3?

I know DDR is for old coms like.. mine lol. Different pins i think?

uh huh.

Pins.
nibblemynutz
nibblemynutz

Back to top Go down

Post by He Zhuo Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:33 am

Yes,
different number of pins
different gap locations
different slot

whats important is, different speed
Hint: Check rule#2

Good luck finding a good PC

/*Note: late by a minute from nibbz*/
He Zhuo
He Zhuo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ansara Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:09 pm

Okay. So no one seemed to notice this, but the most important part of your PC is NOT CPU, NOT GRAPHICS, nor ram. its the motherboard. What use of 4 GB ram if your MB can only use 2GB efficiently (BTW, what the hell would u use 4 gb ram for... I have 512 mb and had no problems running any game (i dont play shooters though. Still 1 GB - 1,5, up to 2 should be more then enough).
The general rule is to balance your PC. Dont overdo your ram if you dont have a cpu fast enough to take care of it. Exception - graphics cards, as they are basically a computer itself (a machine inside machine.. With its own CPU, RAM, ROM etc.)

About HD - more then RPM, try to get hold of their access time (which should not be greater then 20 ms (talking about 'theoretical value' - in tests, 15-25 ms is acceptable). If you got a high RPM HD with the same access time as the low RPM one, go for the low - they will usually last longer without breaking down.

Thats basically it. If you're too tired to think up a box, go for one of the pre-made sets you can find in most PC shops. In truth, for mmo's basically any of these should do - the question is whether u'll have to change it in 2 or 4 years.

Ansara

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down