AsdaDream
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Website Practice

5 posters

Go down

Website Practice Empty Website Practice

Post by Bobby5589 Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:22 am

I made this very simple layout useing <div> and CSS. Mostly just to practice, but i was wondering what you think. Its just gray but,...

Oh, btw, it requires firefox to be viewed propperally. It may work in other browers becuase i didnt test it, but it does NOT work in IE.

http://h1.badwaresite.www/bobby5589/Site[P]/987484-[P]CSS.div.html.html

Idea Question jocolor
Bobby5589
Bobby5589

Back to top Go down

Website Practice Empty Re: Website Practice

Post by Himo Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:58 am

You shouldn't use Tables if you use Divs.....

And you should REALLY concider making it IE-compatible cause almost 60% of the people on the web use IE...

Also, as for your CSS, I recommend using an external file. There's no practical reason, it's just the norm now, so you might as well be up to date Wink.

Also, try using fixed height/widths the less you can. If you want a fixed width/height for your website, you should concider using one global DIV, giving him the values you want (width: 800px; height: 600px; for exemple) and putting all you other DIV inside. It better in term of usability. Keep in mind other people will rarely see the website as you do.

I just noticed, you used a different tag for each DIV.. don't do that... Just put every style you want in the same tag. It will make you code lighter.

I know they are a pain in the ass, but concider using Floats to position your elements instead of making everythin an absolute. What I think you should do is:
Code:
<div id=""global">
    <div id="topBanner">
        <div id="logo">LOGO</div>
        <div id="logoBuddy">LOGO BUDDY</div>
    </div>
    <div id="contentAndMenu">
        <div id="leftMenu">LEFT MENU</div>
        <div id="overFlow">OVERFLOW</div>
    </div>
<div>
In this code, what I'd do is, put a specific height and/or width to my global div and put floats on my logoBuddy and overFlow Divs. Float is a CSS property if you don't know what it is. and the two other div (topBanner and contentAndMenu) are used to restrain and help in the positionning of my Divs. That way, the top Divs are "trapped" inside the topBanner div, so the Float won't fuck the whole thing up. Same goes for the contentAndMenu div.

I don't know if you just started doing websites or if you've been there for a long time, but if it is one of your fist times, I think you should play around with the float property. It's really a pain in the ass, but once you manage to get it working, it can do wonders.

Use this website to help you learn HTML and CSS: http://www.w3schools.com/
When you're looking for a CSS property, or just want to hang aroung to see if something is interesting, or if you have a float fucking up all you design, go check it out Wink

Also, don't take anything personnal, I've just been studying in the domain for a certain time, so I'm sharing what I kknow with you Smile Feel free to ignore parts of what I say, or the whole haha Razz
Himo
Himo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobby5589 Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:08 pm

geez, its was only practice. Calm yourself down, cuase i allready know what you said Rolling Eyes

A reason why i didnt use floats is mainly becuase i couldnt find a good tutorial on the <div> tags, so i was mostly just messing around to see what i got.
Bobby5589
Bobby5589

Back to top Go down

Post by Himo Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:51 pm

Heh.. Well you asked and well... I'm kinda passionate about web design so.. well huh.... yeah.... take or leave w/e you want i don't care lol. Not my "practice"
Himo
Himo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobby5589 Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:19 pm

its ok, i didnt mean to seem rude if i did. Im quite glad that you did answer, cause usally i go unanswered.

But if you know anywere (other then w3school) were i could get a bit more about floats that would be very helpful.

Website Practice Thumbs-up-9822
Bobby5589
Bobby5589

Back to top Go down

Post by Himo Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:25 pm

http://www.positioniseverything.net/

This website is awesome. IT'll teach you about all the possible bugs of CSS and how to counter them. If you can't find what you're looking for, they give some usefull links.
Himo
Himo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobby5589 Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:55 pm

Thx alot, ill get to looking at that later. Smile
Bobby5589
Bobby5589

Back to top Go down

Post by taelmx Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:49 am

It's not bad for a first time...I know Himo knows a lot about web design and graphics. I could rant on and on about how much IE creates a vacuum, but so many people use that...
taelmx
taelmx

Back to top Go down

Post by Himo Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:58 am

taelmx wrote:I could rant on and on about how much IE creates a vacuum, but so many people use that...
Who couldn't? But so many people use this sh*t we can't really afford to ignore it -_-

If you guys want a good laugh: http://www.msfirefox.com/
Himo
Himo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobby5589 Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:16 pm

Laughing that was funny

[edit]
ok, i think im sorta getting it now.

ArrowArrowArrow
Bobby5589
Bobby5589

Back to top Go down

Post by Abnormality Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:37 pm

Hahhaaha, that's a hilarious website. I just got done with the support section.
Abnormality
Abnormality

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:09 pm

Himo wrote:
taelmx wrote:I could rant on and on about how much IE creates a vacuum, but so many people use that...
Who couldn't? But so many people use this sh*t we can't really afford to ignore it -_-

If you guys want a good laugh: http://www.msfirefox.com/

That cracked me up. lol
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://asdadream.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down